Research and Publications
Louise's main research interests have been neurological complications of viral infection. In particular, the effect of different HIV strains on the production of the neurotoxin, Quinolinic acid. Other research interests have included the investigation of clinical markers for the diagnosis of HIV associated dementia. Since commencing employment at CSU Louise has been involved with studies investigating the chronic complications associated with Diabetes.
List of Publications
- Pemberton LA, Stone E, Price P, van Bockxmeer F, Brew BJ. The relationship between ApoE, TNFA, IL1a, IL1b and IL12b genes and HIV-1-associated dementia. HIV Med. 2008 Oct;9(8):677-80. ePub 2008 Jul 8
- Brew BJ, Pemberton L, Blennow K, Wallin A, Hagberg L. CSF amyloid beta42 and tau levels correlate with AIDS dementia complex. Neurology. 2005 Nov 8;65(9):1490-2.
- Brew BJ, Pemberton L, Ray J. Can the peripheral blood monocyte count be used as a marker of CSF resistance to antiretroviral drugs? J Neurovirol. 2004;10 Suppl 1:38-43.
- Guillemin GJ, Kerr SJ, Pemberton LA, Smith DG, Smythe GA, Armati PJ, Brew BJ. IFN-beta1b induces kynurenine pathway metabolism in human macrophages: potential implications for multiple sclerosis treatment. J Interferon Cytokine Res. 2001 Dec;21(12):1097-101.
- Pemberton LA, Brew BJ. Cerebrospinal fluid S-100beta and its relationship with AIDS dementia complex. J Clin Virol. 2001 Oct;22(3):249-53.
- Smith DG, Guillemin GJ, Pemberton L, Kerr S, Nath A, Smythe GA, Brew BJ. Quinolinic acid is produced by macrophages stimulated by platelet activating factor, Nef and Tat. J Neurovirol. 2001 Feb;7(1):56-60.
- McPhee DA, Greenway AL, Holloway G, Smith K, Deacon N, Pemberton L, Brew BJ. Anomalies in Nef expression within the central nervous system of HIV-1 positive individuals/AIDS patients with or without AIDS dementia complex. J Neurovirol. 1998 Jun;4(3):291-300.
- Kerr SJ, Armati PJ, Pemberton LA, Smythe G, Tattam B, Brew BJ. Kynurenine pathway inhibition reduces neurotoxicity of HIV-1-infected macrophages. Neurology. 1997 Dec;49(6):1671-81.
- Pemberton LA, Kerr SJ, Smythe G, Brew BJ. Quinolinic acid production by macrophages stimulated with IFN-gamma, TNF-alpha, and IFN-alpha. J Interferon Cytokine Res. 1997 Oct;17(10):589-95.
- Cunningham AL, Naif H, Saksena N, Lynch G, Chang J, Li S, Jozwiak R, Alali M, Wang B, Fear W, Sloane A, Pemberton L, Brew B. HIV infection of macrophages and pathogenesis of AIDS dementia complex: interaction of the host cell and viral genotype. J Leukoc Biol. 1997 Jul;62(1):117-25.
- Brew BJ, Pemberton L, Cunningham P, Law MG. Levels of human immunodeficiency virus type 1 RNA in cerebrospinal fluid correlate with AIDS dementia stage. J Infect Dis. 1997 Apr;175(4):963-6.
- Brew BJ, Dunbar N, Pemberton L, Kaldor J. Predictive markers of AIDS dementia complex: CD4 cell count and cerebrospinal fluid concentrations of beta 2-microglobulin and neopterin. J Infect Dis. 1996 Aug;174(2):294-8.
- Brew BJ, Evans L, Byrne C, Pemberton L, Hurren L. The relationship between AIDS dementia complex and the presence of macrophage tropic and non-syncytium inducing isolates of human immunodeficiency virus type 1 in the cerebrospinal fluid. J Neurovirol. 1996 Jun;2(3):152-7.
- Dunbar N, Pemberton L, Perdices M, Brew BJ. Clinical Markers of the Presence of Dementia and Neuropsychological Impairment in HIV Infection J NeuroAIDS. 1996;1(4):31-48.
- Brew BJ, Corbeil J, Pemberton L, Evans L, Saito K, Penny R, Cooper DA, Heyes MP. Quinolinic acid production is related to macrophage tropic isolates of HIV-1.J Neurovirol. 1995 Dec;1(5-6):328-9.